The Journey of Malachi Preston

03 August 2010

Promises...

James 1:17 says, "Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow."

I was reminded of this promise this past week. Everything God does is good, perfect in fact! As hard as it is for us to have to watch Malachi suffer there is "good" in it. Our faith is being strengthened and we are completely tied into prayer communication with our Heavenly Father. We are "blessed" because of all we are learning about our Savior, and our relationship with Him is on a level that some may never get to experience. I just wish there was some other way of growth for us than seeing our precious boy go through so much!

When Malachi's surgeries have been delayed the past two times I was pretty disappointed. I wanted to just "get it over with!" I realized though, that the Lord, if not for any other reason, was planning to teach me so much more about Him and myself, before we faced this next part of our journey. I am unsure of what will happen, but I am praying that I can learn all that is set before me to learn. I want to see my Savior at work in our lives and trust Him completely. I feel a little better "prepared" as we go into it.

Another promise I was given this past week was in none other than the book of Malachi, chapter 3. Malachi 3:3 says,"He will sit as a smelter and purifier of silver, and He will purify the sons of Levi and refine them like gold and silver, so that they may present to the LORD offerings in righteousness." It was a reminder of all that the Lord has been doing in and through Malachi's journey. I was encouraged though that the chapter didn't just end with that, it goes on later in chapter 3:10 to say, "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this," says the LORD of hosts, "if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows." I know that this chapter and book are geared towards the nation of Israel, but I felt He was directing it towards me. (The Bible is applicable to all aspects of my life too!) I felt that He was promising us the blessings to come after the purification. What a whole different perspective! To see the suffering as a blessing, because of all that we would learn from it. That is why James 1:2-3 says," Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance." We have (if I had my eyes open to see) the opportunity to grow in ways that no one else may ever get to experience. We have a relationship with God that we wouldn't have otherwise had without the hard times. That is probably why I am drawn to people who have been through loss and major heartache (not saying that anyones' suffering is worthy of more recognition than others) I just relate to those who have a similar experience better!

I feel I am rambling, but wanted to end with the lyrics to this song by Jeremy Camp. (Also another reminder and promise this past week!) He lost his wife to ovarian cancer at just 22 years old. He wrote this song after that, and I know this will become a song that comes to mind when faced with Malachi's upcoming surgery. I HOPE and PRAY that we can echo these words!

I Still Believe by Jeremy Camp

Scattered words and empty thoughts
Seem to pour from my heart
I've never felt so torn before
Seems I don't know where to start
But its now that I feel your grace fall like rain
From every fingertip washing away my pain

I still believe in your faithfulness
I still believe in your truth
I still believe in your holy word
Even when I don't see, I still believe

Though the questions still fog up my mind
With promises I still seem to bear
Even when answers slowly unwind
It's my heart I see you prepare
But its now, that I feel, your grace fall like rain
From every fingertip washing away my pain

I still believe in your faithfulness
I still believe in your truth
I still believe in your holy word
Even when I don't see, I still believe

Well the only place I can go is into your arms
Where I throw to you my feeble prayers well in brokenness
I can see that this was your will for me
Help me to know that you are near

I still believe in your faithfulness
I still believe in your truth
I still believe in your holy word
Even when I don't see, I still believe

Surgery is just two weeks from this Thursday, on August 19th. We are praying for a sucessful surgery without any "bumps" in the road! Thanks to everyone who prays and thinks of us often! Love and hugs!

Love,
April for all

No comments: